Senior Filter/RF Engineer
Location: Leeds, UK
Filtronic is looking for a Senior Filter/RF Engineer to join our team.
With a wide range of design tools and other experienced engineers you will be able to develop your own skills and experience designing new products as part of the Filtronic team.
Our products range from low volume niche opportunity devices to high volume telecommunication, Public Safety and defence equipment.
Purpose of Role
Design and develop RF/microwave filters and other RF/Microwave Components/Systems.
The idea candidate should have the ability to design filters in a range of filter topologies in the from VHF to Microwave frequencies including metal combline, lumped element, suspended substrate and microstrip.
A good understanding of the design and use of other RF components such as directional couplers, low noise amplifiers, power amplifiers is also desirable, as is experience of RF system design.
The ability to work reasonably independently in areas out-with the candidates previous direct experience is essential.
The candidate will be expected to have sufficient technical and personal skills to be a capable technical team lead / mentor and be able to manage or direct the technical content of a moderate sized project or technical team.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Design filter and RF solutions in accordance with customer specifications.
- When required verify and develop prototype hardware using network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power amplifiers, oscilloscopes, and other test equipment.
- Liaise with Mechanical Designers /Associate Engineers to help turn the RF design into a product.
- Liaise with colleagues in Engineering and Sales to clarify or resolve problems and develop design proposals.
- Direct and coordinate production personnel in the manufacture and test of the product.
- Mentor other members of Engineering staff.
- Use computer assisted engineering design software and equipment to formulate and test electronic designs.
- Effectively interface with Customers
- Proven ability to lead the technical design effort from concept to production.
- Ability to demonstrate strong and experienced technical leadership.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, Master’s Degree or Doctorate (or equivalent)
- Proficient at simulating filters using Circuit Simulation Software (Microwave Office or Similar).
- Working knowledge of CST or equivalent
- Substantial experience of “hands on” RF design
- Practical knowledge of filter manufacture and alignment
- Comfortable working on designs that are outside their previous design experience, relying on a good core understanding of RF principles.
- Ability to communicate written information clearly for internal or external use.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret mechanical design and comprehend electrical schematics
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to travel occasionally, domestically or internationally.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skill
- Ability to obtain security clearance to SC level.