High performance RF solutions for complex communication markets
Filtronic provides customised, high-performance technologies to its core markets of telecommunications infrastructure, critical communications, space and aerospace & defence.
Working with some of the world’s leading technology leaders, Filtronic designs and manufactures a range of solutions from 300MHz to 175GHz into adjacent markets such as trackside to train, high frequency trading, test & measurement and private networks, where our core competencies provide clients with a competitive edge.
Our precision products for critical communication applications include tower top amplifiers, filters, crossband/in-band combiners, power amplifiers and multiplexers. We are specialists in public safety interference mitigation to improve radio communication performance and clarity.
Aerospace & Defence
Filtronic designs and manufactures complex transmit and receive modules (TRMs), filters and other RF components and sub-systems for aerospace and defence applications. We also provide contract manufacturing services for clients, producing and testing their precision components at scale to individual specifications in our state-of-the-art facilities.
We offer highly integrated, fully calibrated transceivers for 4G and 5G wireless backhaul. Our transceiver products Morpheus and Orpheus simply drop-in between the baseband modem module and the antenna.
Filtronic has been a major mmWave technology provider to the non terrestrial & near space ‘HAPS & LEO’ industries for several years. In recent years there has been considerable work undertaken to develop airborne communications networks that overcome the limitations of terrestrial networks.
Trackside to train
Rail communication and the provision of high-speed, high-capacity, high-reliability internet connections on rail journeys has become a strategic objective of both governments and rail operators around the world. Providing a reliable broadband Internet connection to a high-speed train has always been a major challenge.
Test & measurement
Filtronic has a rich history of designing, manufacturing and testing RF, microwave and mmWave components and subsystems for telecommunications, specifically 5G.
Where we lead
E band represents the frequency range from 60 GHz to 90 GHz. Demand for E-band mmWave radio links is growing rapidly, as they can provide high capacity and low latency XHaul for the latest 5G networks that are being rolled out globally. Filtronic’s device-agnostic Microwave and mmWave transceivers, offer high-performance, are competitively priced and significantly reduce client time to market. Our ultra-high-capacity E-band (71-76 and 81-86 GHz) mmWave transceivers are designed to deliver cost-effective, carrier-class multi-gigabit connectivity for mobile backhaul networks.
Filtronic is a high performance expert with a track record of delivering transceiver solutions that lower the overall cost per Gbps. We are the partner of choice for leading OEMs and mobile network operators looking for bespoke, microwave and mmWave components and subsystems for XHaul applications.
Solid-state power amplifiers
Solid state power amplifiers (SSPAs) convert a low-power radio frequency signal to a higher power one. Filtronic’s range of power amplifiers provide market leading linear mmW power. Cerus is a series of E-Band (71 to 76 GHz) power amplifiers for point-to-point applications. They are ideal for military or commercial applications with excellent SWAP (low size, weight and high power) perfect for airborne & non-terrestrial applications.
We have extensive expertise in developing microwave and mmWave filters for telecoms applications. Our products include metal cavity filters, ceramic, combline, interdigital, lumped element, suspended substrate, waveguide and thin-film filters. We are experts in filter technology, offering rapid prototyping and reduced development cycles.
Looking to the future
6G Wireless communication
6G is the next generation of telecommunication which will be the successor to 5G. 6G radio frequency will work in the wavelength ranges above 95GHz and is expected to utilise frequencies up to 3 THz which will result in massive bandwidth availability. 6G technology will need higher frequency mmWave solutions for the wireless transport networks, which is why Filtronic is developing products and capabilities at W and D band. We have been at the vanguard of RF and microwave technology for over 40 years, and we see high frequency technology as critical to the future of these next-generation developments.
Defence – securing critical communications
In defence applications, unreliable or interrupted signals caused by congested frequency bands could cost lives. Moving up to E-band not only offers higher data rates, but also provides more directional signals that are harder to intercept. Alongside this, there is a push towards more digital signal processing in the radar signal chain.
New technologies in the pipeline include ultrawide band (UWB) tuneable filters, operating across a broad spectrum of frequencies, which will be used to capture highly accurate spatial and directional data.
Space – commoditising satellite production
To support the rise of mega constellations of low earth orbit (LEO) satellites, RF device manufacturers are developing “off-the-shelf” space-capable high-power products aiming to improve the commercial viability of small satellite manufacture and deployment. The exponential growth in data traffic also means that space communications will need to move further up the frequency band, to E-band (71-76GHz / 81-86GHz) where there is an abundance of bandwidth and technology to support its’ use.
Tower top amplifiers
Latest product news
Popular news, articles and white papers
- Filtronic returns to AOC Europe to showcase it’s complex integrated RF subsystems and filter technologies
- Pushing the boundaries in LEO applications – Filtronic expands presence in satellite communications market
- RF technology specialist increases its frontline business development team
- How E-band spectrum offers new 5G opportunities in India
- Moving up in frequency – why D-band is the next frontier for XHaul
- The semiconductor strategy: Will the UK play a leading role?
- Filtronic plans attendance at six global exhibitions
- Filtronic strengthens its engineering team and opens new design centre in Manchester
- New E-band products push performance barriers even further.
- 5G interference at C-band – what are the potential problems, and how might they be mitigated?
- Why trust is the cornerstone of successful collaboration
- New high-power E-band transceiver for 5G XHaul applications
- High-performance E-Band backhaul networks vital to achieving 5G levelling up.
- Choosing an integrated specialist partner adds value, boosts innovation and reduces risk in RF product development
- Filtronic shows aerospace and defence products and manufacturing services at AOC Europe
- Future focus: new possibilities for RF communications
- UK supply chains: Why SME suppliers are the driving force of UK growth
- UK’s new science minister George Freeman visits Filtronic
- Tudor Williams joins Filtronic as Director of Technology
- Outsourcing microelectronics assembly or making in-house — what are the trade-offs?