A leading defence prime approached Filtronic to design a drop-in replacement for an obsolete filter due to component obsolescence. As this use case was generally used for emergency relief, deployment speed was critical. A drop-in replacement is inherently challenging since you are dealing with an existing package footprint, but Filtronic’s solution worked seamlessly within the customer’s existing package.
- Improve RF performance whilst replacing obsolete product.
- Accelerated development time.
- Rigorous modelling proved technical approach worked.
- Reduced lead time for improved availability.
- Meeting the environmental specification.
- Drop in replacements are inherently challenging as you already have a high level of existing architecture.
- Challenging environmental conditions including temperature, altitude, shock and vibration.
- Speed of deployment was very important, as this use case was generally used in emergency relief situations.